diumenge, 20 de novembre del 2011

ORAL PRESENTATION SCRIPT

Hello everybody! I'm Helena and I'm gonna talk about Riot Grrrl. I'm sure that nobody knows about this movement and music style and I want to speak a little about it.
I think that Riot Grrrl must be known among the people, because it marks a before and after in feminism.
I'll start by explaining what's Riot grrrl, some influental bands, and the topics of their lyrics.
I hope that interests you!

The websites say that Riot Grrrl is only a musical style, born in 1990 in USA.
But it's more than this. It was an ideology, a revolutionary thought.
A protest against sexism in society. For the first time, women expressed their thoughts and feelings though punk
.






Punk and Rock have always been considered masculine music styles. Women could go to punk concert and love punk music. But punks felt that women were weak and sensitive and couldn't form a punk band.
Women who attempted to form punk bands wre rejected.
But they aren't giving up.





They began to meet and to form female punk bands. They played in clubs and alternative bars.






The objective was to demostrate that women could play punk like men... and better than they! They wanted to break the mold established by the society and talk about taboo topics.
This topics are: sexism, gender violence, rape, incest, inequality between men and women, the stereotypes of the tradicional women,...
I think that all the riot grrrls bands are influential. Many were released on the festival "Girl Day" in Olimpia (1990).
Some are:
-Bratmobile.
-Seven Year Bitch.
And my favourite: -Bikini Kill.



And although it's not classificable as Riot Grrrl, we might consider LAS VULPES like a feminist spanish punk band.
This woman, Kathleen Hanna, was an important piece to form the riot girl movement.
She was the lead singer of Bikini Kill, and actually, is a feminist activist and the singer of her band, Le Tigre, an American electroclash band.
She with the help of other women, formed riot grrrl festivals, feminist books and fanzines to show that the riot grrrl wasn't only a musical style: Was a feminist revolution.
I have spoken of this movement in the oral presentation, because the teacher asked us to talk about something that has influenced our lives.
Sine I knew that I liked punk bands, I tried to find bands who speak of social problems, and I never found any.
I found riot girls and I love them.
It really is much than words, it's a feeling.





I know that you're not be passionate about the topic, but I hope that now you know about this movement.






2 comentaris:

  1. Well done, Helena, keep it up like this!

    "Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who are alive."

    ~Howard Thurman

    ResponElimina
  2. THANK YOU, TEACHER!
    I will remember this quote, I promise!
    Thanks again!

    ResponElimina